Early Years Nutritionist
Me & My Role:
I am the Early Years Nutritionist, and I have been in post since April 2018. This role was funded through the health improvement fund (NHS). My role covers Prestonpans, Tranent, Elphinstone, Musselburgh East, Wallyford and Whitecraig.
I have worked at the PCDT since September 2016 after completing my undergraduate degree in Nutrition at Queen Margaret University, firstly as a volunteer and then I continued to work sessional hours to gain valuable experience.
During my time at the PCDT I was involved in various roles:
* Youth Worker
* Running and Facilitating cooking groups
* Assisting with cooking and teaching about healthy eating at the local primary schools
* Worked at PSG lunch clubs
* Facilitated Tranent lunch club 2017-2018
I covered a variety of roles at PCDT which allowed me to build positive relationships with families and organisations within the community in both Prestonpans and Tranent.
Within my role as an Early Years Nutritionist I aim to improve nutritional intakes and awareness of nutrition in pregnancy, early years and children.
My job has various roles:
* Help to encourage families to cook healthy meals from scratch – I run parent cooking groups and family cooking.
* Help with infant feeding and encouraging healthy options for introducing solid food – Monthly Weaning sessions.
* Increase knowledge of good nutrition and healthy food choices.
* Increase knowledge on the importance of breastfeeding.
* I support families on 1:1 home visits offering advice on healthy eating, weaning or cooking to encourage them to attend groups in the area.